If you’ve never dipped your toes into the wide world of podcasts, prepare yourself for your new obsession, Davids & DeLaat's weekly podcast: What's Up Niagara. Join us each week
Local Knowledge & Local Insights Are Key
It's not uncommon for our network to ask for assistance with buying or selling real estate outside of the Niagara Region. Shawn DeLaat always jokes that his car has a warning signal that goes off the moment he drives past Grimsby "GO HOME, RETURN TO NIAGARA!"
"I'm a Niagara Region Realtor, I know Niagara like the back of my hand, I know the market, I pride myself on being an expert on my marketplace. Those places aren't my market, so how can I accurately direct my clients about prices, places, and local knowledge. The answer is: I can't. When it comes to real estate you need local experience, understanding, and knowledge" It's for that reason we believe in reaching out to top agents and teams in those areas to ask for assistance when our network needs assistance with buying and selling real estate outside of the Niagara Region.
It’s one of life’s biggest decisions. It’s one of life’s biggest purchases. Choosing an agent to represent you in this transaction is just as significant. Deep local insights and knowledge of the area are key. Your real estate agent should act like a college tour guide: insanely proud of the place they are showing you around with insider knowledge of all the best places to eat, best places to go out and pointing out the housing areas that have the best parties, and the housing areas you actually want to live in where you will get some sleep and be able to study. You wouldn't ask a University of Toronto tour guide to show you around Brock University, they won't know where the library is!
That's why when our friends, family, and network need assistance with buying and selling real estate outside of the Niagara Region we ALWAYS stress the importance of working with a LOCAL EXPERT. Afterall a good Realtor's objective to offer informed advice, NOT A SALES PITCH.
These are our top tips and tricks we tell our family and friends to ask, watch for, and monitor when working with a Realtor:
- Can your Realtor show you a detailed list of past transactions have they completed in your target neighborhoods?
- Does the Realtor need to Google an area you asked about?
- Does the Realtor send you potential listings outside of your established commute radius or desired area without explanation?
- Can your realtor tell you about an area’s proximity to walking trails, local shops, and restaurants, or traffic patterns?
- Does your Realtor make you feel pressured to just hurry up and buy already?
- Can your Realtor give an informed answer when asked the following questions:
- How well do you know the area?
- How many clients are you currently representing and how many will you work with at one time?
- What kind of properties do you help your clients buy—single-family homes, condos, townhomes?
- How much experience do you have working with first-time buyers? (if you are a first-time buyer)
- What are the top three things that separate you from the competition?
Our #1 tip is to always work with a Realtor that has proven local expertise combined with a positive, trusting personal connection. Your Realtor is going to be by your side from house hunting to closing — it's crucial that you partner with someone who has the expertise you trust and a personality you get along with. Your Realtor's job is to be with you every step of the way, answering every question and anticipating challenges you may not see. Above anything else, a Realtor's #1 priority and focus is to keep your best interests at heart and should pride themselves on listening to your wants, understanding your needs, and keeping you on a budget.
Buying and selling real estate can be one of life's most stressful moments, but it doesn't have to be. Whether it’s your first time buying a home or you’ve done it before, it’s crucial to have a team of experienced professionals to guide you along the way.
Thinking of buying or selling in the Niagara Region? Let's talk.
"When she’s not sweating the details on all things Davids & DeLaat you can usually find Jessica sweating the details of the smaller details. With over a decade spent in real estate working with with....